birding-aus

March 26 terns Inskip Pt, SEQ and 27th waders

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: March 26 terns Inskip Pt, SEQ and 27th waders
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:32:33 +1000
Hi everyone,

Last night Dorothy Pashniak and I did a count of arriving terns at
Inskip Point, near Fraser Island, SEQld.

We estimated around 9,500 migratory terns (almost all Common Terns, a
few Littles) and guesstimated about 2000 Crested Terns. I had to largely
ignore the Cresteds whilst concentrating on the Commons, counting mainly
in 50s as the flocks arrived. I didn't see a single black armpit to
indicate White-winged Black Terns. And yet we see them in the Noosa
flocks. It must be something to do with different food sources. And yet
they all feed out at sea. What else might it be?

This morning Dorothy and I paddled out to the sandbar not far off the
point. The tide was rising and the conditions were heavenly. There
weren't many waders, but amongst them we found 3 Sanderling and 2 Grey
Plover, which are both species we see very seldom in our part of the world.

Our reason for going was photography. As I was getting the kayak ready,
my glasses broke. Great. I spent the entire session wondering if I was
getting anything in focus, and had to rely on autofocus. But we both got
identifiable pics of the Sanderling and Grey Plover. I was especially
pleased to catch the black armpits of one of the Grey Plover, as well as
the white rump as they flew. It sure isn't easy getting close to
shorebirds on sandbanks.

Cheers,

Jill

--