birding-aus

How many bird species in Australia?

To: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: How many bird species in Australia?
From: "Peter Taylor" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:02:41 +0900
Not sure if anyone has tried to answer any of these questions yet (original msg came through as a Notepad attachment) but here's my partial attempt!

Based on the C & B 2008 list that Frank O'Connor put on his website, there appear to be 860 species all up listed for Australia + various islands. This includes 123 vagrants.

To work out how many species can reasonably be expected on the mainland and Tasmania, I deleted the columns for Ashmore Reef, Cocos, Christmas and other islands (leaving 807 species) then filtered out the remaining and resultant vagrants (105) leaving a total of 702 spp.

I can't see an easy way of calculating totals for breeding residents and non-breeding visitors however!

cheers

Peter Taylor
Birding South West
3/13 Young St