birding-aus

NSW - Sea watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra - 21st March 2008

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW - Sea watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra - 21st March 2008
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 17:18:43 +1100
This morning (21/3/08), David Mitford and I, enjoyed another good sea watch
from Magic Pt in Maroubra (approx. 10km south of the Sydney CBD). Winds were
mainly moderate southerly (up to 30 knots at times) with fairly choppy
coastal seas to start of with and later easing towards noon.

The main highlight about 5 minutes or so before David arrived was an
immaculate fresh-plumaged PROVIDENCE PETREL very close in shore. This bird
appeared hooded with its dark head contrasting against its frosty-grey back
and body and the "M' mark easily seen across the upper-wing and lower-back
as well as it obvious white primary basis in the under-wing. This plumage
will eventually ware off when the bird then takes on a duller appearance.
This is the first time I have seen a Providence Petrel from Maroubra and
from what I understand is quite an early record.

Also good were a few very close in Flesh-footed Shearwaters (within two
hundred or so metres from the point), a distant Sooty Shearwater and still
present were several Long-tailed Jaegers. One of the Long-tailed Jaegers may
have been in full breeding plumage with elongated central tail feathers
(from what I understand it is quite unusual to see one in this plumage in
our waters).

Sea bird species recorded this morning (time 0830 to 1200 approx) from Magic
Pt Maroubra and approximate numbers were as follows:

Fairy Penguin (3)
PROVIDENCE PETREL (1)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater (150 plus)
Flesh-footed Shearwater (6)