birding-aus

Extreme Birding comes to Oz!

To: <>
Subject: Extreme Birding comes to Oz!
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:45:19 +1030
As a surfer, I had never really understood golf. I mean where is the sense
of adventure? Where is the potential danger, where are the life threatening
challenges that gets the adrenalin pumping and so compels you to devote time
and money to this rather sedate activity?

That was until last year when I visited Jogjakarta, a small town in the
south of the Indonesian Island of Java. Here they have a golf course on the
slopes of an active Volcano which regularly spews ash and molten lava down
onto the lush surrounds. Not only can you engage in the pursuit of your
pleasure, but also run the risk of getting wiped out by some heinous
volcanic gas cloud! Now that’s Golf! Imagine a tour! Imagine events like
playing a round in the middle of the Kruger Park in South Africa that you
could potentially get eaten by a Lion etc!

Now this seems to have come to the birding fraternity. Not only can we, at a
moments notice, hop onto a plane/car/boat etc, brave the elements and Twitch
some exotic species that has arrived on/near our lovely shores. Now we have
the added bonus of the adventure of potentially being shot at by some
contract nutter bird hitman in the process. Cant wait to get to Dee Why next
week!

Brilliant!!

Steve Potter
Blackwood, South Australia