birding-aus

birdwatchers - spiderwatchers?

To: david taylor <>, birding-aus birding-aus <>
Subject: birdwatchers - spiderwatchers?
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 04:24:19 -0700 (PDT)
David,

Everytime when I go out "birding" I try to identify mammals, reptiles,
amphibians, butterflies, dragonflies and spiders. Try that as well and count
the positively identified species in each group. You'll find out that the birds
are by far the largest group in your count. Birds are the easiest to find AND
to identify (with regular tools) group of animals. That's why they are used as
bioindicators rather than other similarly sensitive groups. And that's also why
listers love them: it's more fun to come home with 100+ species "in the bag" as
opposed to 5, or 10 or 15...

;-)

Nikolas

P.S. the recent pelagic out of Sydney (which I unfortunately missed) had
White-tailed Tropicbirds - really cool. But the best "bird" was in my opinion
the albino False Killer Whale in a pod of 10-11 "normal" ones!

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW