birding-aus

Australian birds in folklore and reality

Subject: Australian birds in folklore and reality
From: "Lynne Kelly" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:19:21 +1100 (EST)
Hi Michael,

> Very much enjoying your spider contributions - must look at the book!

Thank you! I'd love to look at the book, too. It's still in editing. Out
next February because the marketing division don't want to release it when
the spiders aren't out and about to be observed.

> I am not suggesting plagiarism but have you looked at 'Wild Neighbours -
> the
> humane approach to living with wildlife' by Ian Temby (Citrus Press,
> 2005)?
> It's got quite a bit of health hazards etc. which are often myths.  Ian is
> at the DSE.

I haven't looked at this book, and must try to see it. I am not talking
about that sort of myths, though. I am talking about legends and folklore
type myths. I have done debunking type science in the past, but that isn't
my goal this time. It's all about how wonderful our animals are and how
much more wonderful when you take the time to stop and watch them closely,
as people on this list do and people in the past have done. Through that
perspective, I hope to make people far more aware of how precious the
environment is because they see it for themselves.

cheers,

Lynne

--
Lynne Kelly