birding-aus

st. josephs pond altona

To: <>
Subject: st. josephs pond altona
From: alan jordan <>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:33:48 +1100
the lewins rail was easily visible within 3 metres of northern viewing platform
at 7pm sat.i watched it for 10 mins or so before it wandered off into the reed
beds. thanks very much to peter shute for his reports and shade cloth
.fantastic job peter. regards alan> From: >
Subject: birding-aus Digest, Vol 24, Issue 21> To: >
submissions to> > > To subscribe or unsubscribe via
the World Wide Web, visit>
http://lists.vicnet.net.au/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus> or, via email, send a
message with subject or body 'help' to> > >
You can reach the person managing the list at> >
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific> than
"Re: Contents of birding-aus digest..."> > > Today's Topics:> > 1. RE: Canada
Geese (Tony Russell)> 2. Canada Geese (Andrew Stafford)> 3. Re: RFI - Top End
mammals (Nikolas Haass)> 4. Late Koel (Chris Brandis)> 5. Canada Geese RIP
(Chris Brandis)> 6. FW: [Birding-Aus] RFI - Top End mammals (Denise
Goodfellow)> 7. Re: Canada Geese (Chris Sanderson)> 8. Re: Canada Geese (David
Adams)> 9. Re: Canada Geese (Paul Taylor)> 10. Channel-billed Cuckoos in
Newcastle (Phil Hansbro)> 11. Re: Canada Geese (L&L Knight)> 12. Bird eating
spider? (Belinda Cassidy)> 13. Rainbow Lorikeets (Robyn Charlton)> 14. Re:
Rainbow Lorikeets (Steve)> 15. Bird eating spider? (Lynne Kelly)> 16. Re: Bird
eating spider? (Robyn Charlton)> 17. RE: Rainbow Lorikeets (Gregory Little)>
18. Re: Rainbow Lorikeets (Robyn Charlton)> 19. Re: Rainbow Lorikeets (Greg &
Val Clancy)> 20. Re: Bird eating spider? (Greg & Val Clancy)> 21. Re:
Sanderling with leg flags and double banded plover> (Peter Taylor)> 22. Re:
Bird eating spider? (Peter Shute)> 23. Re: Bird eating spider? (Denise
Goodfellow)> 24. Re: Bird eating spider? (Evan Beaver)> > >
----------------------------------------------------------------------> >
Message: 1> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:29:00 +1030> From: "Tony Russell"
<>> Subject: RE: [Birding-Aus] Canada Geese> To: "'Bob
Cook'" <>> Cc: Birds <>>
charset="Windows-1252"> > I don't need anyone on my side Bob. I'm comfortable
within the courage> of my convictions.> > -----Original Message-----> From: Bob
Cook  > Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 6:54 PM> To:
'Gregory Little'; 'Tony Russell'; 'birding-aus birding-aus'> Subject: RE:
[Birding-Aus] Canada Geese> > .> > To Denise, please note that my use of the
word "fittest" was indeed in> brackets - meaning that I certainly do not
believe that Europeans> were/are fitter; it was just that they had the guns,
grog and diseases> on their side.> > To Tony, you are right, you still have
nobody on your side!> > Bob Cook> > > -----Original Message-----> From: Gregory
Little  > Sent: Friday, 14 March 2008 1:01 PM>
To: 'Bob Cook'; 'Tony Russell'; 'birding-aus birding-aus'> Subject: RE:
[Birding-Aus] Canada Geese> > Bob> > Yes we can keep going back in time, maybe
we should eradicate all native> placental rats and bats that introduced
themselves a million years or> more in the past. Same as for our Indigenous
brothers, if the English> had not "invaded" it would have been someone else
eventually, and I do> not see the Italians apologising to the British for
invading that island> 2000 years ago. So where does it stop. Lets get real. Of
the> approximately 22,000 plants in this country about one tenth of them are>
exotic weeds some still being sold in nurseries for any dill to nurture> and
then throw over the back fence plus those cultivars encouraged for>
agriculture. While I recognise that we are very unlikely to turn back> the
clock 200 years we do need to have a stance, we do not have to keep>
introducing more weeds (plant or animal) and we can have a policy of>
persecution of weeds and eradication of them if possible. Even if we> never
beat them philosophically the policy should still apply and I draw> the line at
200 years ago. Simple as that for me.> > Greg Little> > Greg Little - Principal
Consultant> General Flora and Fauna> PO Box 526> Wallsend, NSW, 2287,
Australia> Ph 02 49 556609> Fx 02 49 556671> www.gff.com.au> > -----Original
Message-----> From: Bob Cook  > Sent: Friday, 14
March 2008 12:02 PM> To: 'Gregory Little'; 'Tony Russell'; 'birding-aus
birding-aus'> Subject: RE: [Birding-Aus] Canada Geese> > Greg, Tony> > While I
am not on Tony's side, I wonder where you draw the line? Dingoes> are
non-native, European humans are not native. Even the aboriginal> people are
non-native (only about 60,000 years). The desire for> "preservation" of the
environment as it was at some chosen point in time> is always going to be
subjective. So who has the right or the "correct"> approach to deciding what>
is the chosen time to be?? And for what/whose purpose? Evolution also> includes
survival of the fittest, so aboriginal people in Australia> suffer almost to
extinction because European people are "fitter".> > I believe that our
decisions and actions against "invasive" species is> always going to be
subjective on an individual basis and arguments why> it is right or wrong are
also always going to be subjective.> > And those who wish to preserve some
version of nature frozen at a> particular time will always fail, because we
cannot control what happens> in nature.> > Bob Cook> Axedale  VIC.> > >
-----Original Message-----> From: >
 On Behalf Of Gregory Little> Sent:
Friday, 14 March 2008 11:25 AM> To: 'Tony Russell'; 'birding-aus birding-aus'>
Subject: RE: [Birding-Aus] Canada Geese> > Tony> > And Cane Toads are just
harmless toads and Camphor Laurel is a lovely> tree. Am disappointed to read
your email. While culling or killing is> unpalatable it is necessary and I am
sure the Canada Geese were removed> as humanely as possible. Who cares how.
Regarding ferals, of course even> Europeans in Australia are introduced exotics
if you look at it one way> but we may also be just a natural self introduction
if you look at it> another way. However, when we drag all sorts of non native
plants and> animals into an environment, anywhere on the planet, then they are
going> to have an impact on that environment if they flourish and some native>
plants and animals could potentially be lost and that environment> degraded in
ways that are not always obvious. It is not worth the risk> of not nipping
something in the bud (removing it) that could potentially> be an environmental
problem. I feel the stance should be if it is not> native it does not belong so
get rid of it (regardless of how nice it> looks) and have policies for that
affect.> > Greg Little> > Greg Little - Principal Consultant> General Flora and
Fauna> PO Box 526> Wallsend, NSW, 2287, Australia> Ph 02 49 556609> Fx 02 49
556671> www.gff.com.au> > -----Original Message-----> From:

On Behalf Of Tony Russell> Sent: Friday, 14 March 2008 10:23 AM> To: 'Tony
Russell'; 'birding-aus birding-aus'> Subject: RE: [Birding-Aus] Canada Geese> >
I just wonder how the geese were disposed of. Were they shot, injected,> or
what ? > > I guess those doing it worked under the charade of "euthanasia" - a>
euphemism for killing, just as "culling" is another euphemism for> killing. > >
Presumably euthanasia and culling are more palatable terms which assuage> the
killers' consciences.> > Why is it that humans think they have the right, the
arrogance, to kill> other life forms ?> > I understand the conservation
arguments re feral invasion and the> problems this may cause, but we've
survived the influx of Cattle Egrets,> Starlings, House Sparrows, Common
Miners,etc, and the incursions> Long-billed Corellas are making on the east
coast - and Perth now has> quite a good population of these too, and the way
Eastern Rosellas have> spread across into the Adelaide area. No great
disasters. It's not like> foxes and cats which have destroyed populations of
native animals -> these are birds we are talking about, harmless birds.> > T.>
the body of the message, with no Subject line)> to:
Virus Database: 269.21.7/1328 - Release Date:> 13/03/2008 11:31 AM> > > > > > >
------------------------------> > Message: 2> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:59:01
+1000> From: "Andrew Stafford" <>> Subject: [Birding-Aus]
Canada Geese> To: <>, <>>
charset="us-ascii"> > Tony Russell wrote:> > > > I don't need anyone on my side
Bob. I'm comfortable within the courage> > of my convictions.> > > > Come off
it Tony, this discussion wasn't originally about protecting a few> misguided
geese from the sniper's bullet. This is what you originally wrote,> on 13
March, before you began taking such a strong interest in animal> rights:> > > >
If they'd told us of their intention to remove them some of us could> > have
taken the opportunity to go see them. I'm very annoyed that this> > opportunity
was denied me. A week's warning would have been adequate.> > Too high handed
for my liking.> > > > This has nothing to do with ethics, it's all about you
being denied a tick!> > > > Cheers, Andrew> > > >
------------------------------> > Message: 3> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:33:40
-0700 (PDT)> From: Nikolas Haass <>> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus]
RFI - Top End mammals> To: Peter Kyne <>,
charset=us-ascii> > Pete,> > I have heard that Narbarleks were at Jim Jim
Falls, Kakadu. Unfortunately, I didn't have the right car and the time to go
there and look for them.> > Nikolas> > ----------------> Nikolas Haass>
> Sydney, NSW> > > ----- Original Message ----> From: Peter
Kyne <>> To: Nikolas Haass <>> Sent: Saturday,
March 15, 2008 12:29:36 AM> Subject: RE: [Birding-Aus] RFI - Top End mammals> >
Thanks Nikolas.> > No one seems to know where to find the Narbarlek. I'll keep
researching.> > Cheers, Pete> > -----Original Message-----> From: Nikolas Haass
 > Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 7:01 PM> To: Peter
Kyne; > Cc: Micha Jackson> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus]
RFI - Top End mammals> > I had Short-eared Rock-Wallaby at Nourlangie Rock,
Kakadu, unfortunately> none of the other species on your list.> > Nikolas> >
----------------> Nikolas Haass> > Sydney, NSW> > > -----
Original Message ----> From: Peter Kyne <>> To:
> Cc: Micha Jackson <>> Sent:
Friday, March 14, 2008 12:59:32 PM> Subject: [Birding-Aus] RFI - Top End
mammals> > Hi All,> > > > Not a RFI about birds, but as many on the list keep a
record of mammal> sightings also, I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice on
where to> find the following mammals in the Top End. We are planning an 8 day
trip> taking in Darwin, Litchfield, Kakadu, Katherine, Mataranka and west to>
at least Timber Creek, possibly into WA.> > > > Top End Mammal Wishlist:> > > >
Northern Quoll> > Northern Brown Bandicoot> > Rock Ringtail Possum> > Northern
Nailtail Wallaby> > Short-eared Rock Wallaby> > Nabarlek> > Black-footed Tree
Rat> > Common Rock Rat> > Arnhem Land Rock Rat> > > > Many thanks, Pete Kyne,
Brisbane> > ==============================www.birding-aus.org>
birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe from this mailing list,> send the
message:> unsubscribe> (in the body of the message, with no Subject line)> to:
> ==============================> > > >
________________________________________________________________________>
____________> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. >
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs> > >
____________________________________________________________________________________>
 Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it
now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ > > > >
------------------------------> > Message: 4> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:33:01
+1100> From: Chris Brandis <>> Subject: [Birding-Aus]
Late Koel> To: birding-aus <>> Message-ID:
charset=us-ascii; format=flowed> > Hi all> From what I can gather the Game
section of the Dept. of Environment and > Conservation shot the geese at
Killalea State Park as they were > considered to be a "threat" to agriculture.
The shooter had to wait till > the next day because of the bird watchers and
had to be shown what > species to shoot by an other Dept. in case he blasted
the Swans. I think > they left the Greylag Goose as just over the hill at
Dunmore Lakes there > are about 30 ferals not considered a threat to
agriculture.> I had been trying to get something done about the local
population of > Rose-ringed Parakeets, Indian Ringnecks, that have bred up from
about 3 > to 7 in 3 years but the Rural Land Protection Board, who "control"
foxes > etc, said they did not have the resources and if they became a real
pest > they still would not have the resources. They missed their chance as the
> roosting tree was blown down 6 months ago and the birds have scattered.>
Cheers Chris> > > > > > ------------------------------> > Message: 6> Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:09:17 +0930> From: Denise Goodfellow
<>> Subject: FW: [Birding-Aus] RFI - Top End mammals>
To: Birding Aus <>> Message-ID:
<>> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:08:52 +0930> To: Nikolas
Haass <>> Conversation: [Birding-Aus] RFI - Top End mammals>
Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] RFI - Top End mammals> > Northern Quolls are a bit
scarce on the ground now. Try around Pine Creek.> Short-eared Rock-walllaby -
I've seen them in several places. Try Ubirr.> Same with Nabarlek.> > N Brown
Bandicoot - many camping areas including near Darwin.> > Bl-footed Tree rat.
Spotlight for them at Gunlom or drive around Kakadu> roads at night.> > N
Nail-tailed Wallaby - usually see them as roadkills. Look like Agile.> Look for
black stripe down the back.> > Common Rock Rat - litterally that - common. Sit
on the rocks at night and> wait for them at Litchfield, Umbrawarra Gorge etc.>
> Arnhem Land Rock Rat - can't help you.> Denise L Goodfellow> > on 15/3/08
3:03 PM, Nikolas Haass at  wrote:> > > Pete,> > > > I have
heard that Narbarleks were at Jim Jim Falls, Kakadu. Unfortunately, I> > didn't
have the right car and the time to go there and look for them.> > > > Nikolas>
> > > ----------------> > Nikolas Haass> > > > Sydney, NSW> > >
> > > ----- Original Message ----> > From: Peter Kyne <>> > To:
Nikolas Haass <>> > Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2008 12:29:36 AM>
Peter Kyne <>> > To: > > Cc: Micha
Jackson <>> > Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 12:59:32 PM> >
Subject: [Birding-Aus] RFI - Top End mammals> > > > Hi All,> > > > > > > > Not
a RFI about birds, but as many on the list keep a record of mammal> > sightings
also, I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice on where to> > find the
following mammals in the Top End. We are planning an 8 day trip> > taking in
Darwin, Litchfield, Kakadu, Katherine, Mataranka and west to> > at least Timber
Creek, possibly into WA.> > > > > > > > Top End Mammal Wishlist:> > > > > > > >
Northern Quoll> > > > Northern Brown Bandicoot> > > > Rock Ringtail Possum> > >
> Northern Nailtail Wallaby> > > > Short-eared Rock Wallaby> > > > Nabarlek> >
> > Black-footed Tree Rat> > > > Common Rock Rat> > > > Arnhem Land Rock Rat> >
==============================www.birding-aus.org> > birding-aus.blogspot.com>
> > > To unsubscribe from this mailing list,> > send the message:> >
unsubscribe> > (in the body of the message, with no Subject line)> > to:
> > ==============================> > > > > >
line)> > to: > >
===============================> > ------ End of Forwarded Message> > > > >
------------------------------> > Message: 7> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:21:16
+1100> From: "Chris Sanderson" <>> Subject: Re:
[Birding-Aus] Canada Geese> To: BIRDING-AUS <>>
Message-ID:> <>>
mentioned now where "the line" should be drawn on what we> preserve - which is
a fine discussion to have, but not particularly relevant> to the problem of a
new feral species introduction. My "line" if you will> with ferals is that if
we can act asap after a new species is detected, we> may very cheaply and
easily keep it from becoming established. Imagine if> there were 1000 Canada
Geese in many separate flocks. We could possibly> still do something about
them, but how much more expensive and difficult> would that be than controlling
4? And at some point the cost of controlling> them would become prohibitive,
even if we could do it. The cute and fluffy> argument worked to stop culls of
Rainbow Lorikeets in Perth and now there> are too many. They are now likely to
impact on Western Rosella and> Red-capped Parrot numbers as they spread from
Perth into the surrounding> forests (which is happening as we speak).> > Also
people were asking what potential impact Canada Geese could have, I> believe
the argument that eventually led to their demise was actually an> agricultural
one. The geese could graze on shooting crops, and foul dams> meant for
livestock. Either or both of those impacts would have a> measurable effect on
our economy if they occurred. Maybe not the most> satisfying argument to have
to make, but sometimes I guess you go with what> works.> > And for the record,
if I were king of the world, my line on conservation> wouldn't be based on
species present at a date in history, but on conserving> and improving habitat.
If you choose to conserve a species you conserve> that species. If you conserve
a habitat, you do so much more.> > Regards,> Chris> > >
------------------------------> > Message: 8> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:33:57
+1100> From: "David Adams" <>> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus]
Canada Geese> To: "Chris Sanderson" <>> Cc:
BIRDING-AUS <>> Message-ID:>
text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed> > Hi all> > Very
surprised to see 4 migrating Channel-billed Cuckoos migrating > through
newcastle yesterday evening.> > Phil.> > > > > > > >
------------------------------> > Message: 11> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:23:20
+1000> From: L&L Knight <>> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus]
Canada Geese> Cc: Birding-Aus <>> Message-ID:
a threat to bonhomie.> > Regards, Laurie.> > On 15/03/2008, at 6:10 PM, Paul
Taylor wrote:> > >> I say we shouldn't preserve the trolls ;-) At the very
least, we> >> shouldn't feed them.> >> > That depends on whether trolls are a
"threat to agriculture" or not.> >> > -- > >> >
+1000> From: "Belinda Cassidy" <>> Subject:
[Birding-Aus] Bird eating spider?> To: > Message-ID:>
yard (in Brisbane) that we haven't seen> before. Its spectacular, with a body
length around 7-8 cm. I think I have> ID'd it correctly as `Nephila pilipes'
The Northern Giant Orb spider. The> link to the photo I took of it today is
below:> > http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/SPIDER.jpg>
> So when I was trying to ID it on google, I came across a youtube video of>
one of these eating a young lewin honeyeater that it had trapped in its> nest.
OMG!> > We are friends with our local birds and wouldn't want to see them eaten
by a> giant spider! But its also a very cool giant spider!> > Should we kill it
to stop it from eating birds and breedng up a colony of> giant bird eating
spiders? Or just leave it? I don't want to kill it, but> then I'd feel pretty
cut if a young bird I know died in its web.> > Thanks for your opinions!> >
Cheers,> Belinda> > > ------------------------------> > Message: 13> Date: Sat,
15 Mar 2008 19:53:58 +1100> From: "Robyn Charlton" <>>
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Rainbow Lorikeets> To: birding-aus
<>> Message-ID:>
charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes> > G'day Robyn> > When I was a kid
in Melbourne in the 1970's I remember we went to go > to Wilson's Prom to see
Rainbow Lorikeets.> > More recently, they arrived in Hamilton in March 1998. I
arrived here > in 1982. Now they are regular all year round.> > Cheers> Steve>
> > > ------------------------------> > Message: 15> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
21:03:45 +1100 (EST)> From: "Lynne Kelly" <>> Subject:
[Birding-Aus] Bird eating spider?> To: > Message-ID:
photo, by the way. Mind you, with such a stunning subject, it is> hard to do
otherwise.> > You are right that it is Nephila sp. and she (it is a female) are
known as> bird-eating spiders, as are many are spiders of a huge variety of
species,> Eating birds is very rare. Birds are not their preferred food. Their
webs> are very strong and they will occasionally catch a very small bird.> >
This is a very common spider, extremely docile and a divine creature to> look
at. Leave her be and enjoy her. I would be most surprised if you ever> saw a
bird in the web.> > Other Queenslanders may choose to disagree. I am well known
for my extreme> bias towards spiders!> > Lynne> > > > We have an enormous
spider in our yard (in Brisbane) that we haven't seen> > before. Its
[...]
===============================> >> >> > > -- > Lynne Kelly> > author,
educator: http://www.lynnekelly.com.au> > EUMY Education:
http://www.eumyeducation.com> > > ------------------------------> > Message:
16> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:19:28 +1100> From: "Robyn Charlton"
<>> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Bird eating spider?> To:
"Lynne Kelly" <>> Cc: >
Message-ID:> <>>
too enjoy the spiders as well as the birds!!> > They are totally amazing and
fascinating creatures. She will be doing her> job, hopefully she'll be allowed
to do it well.> > Robyn> > On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Lynne Kelly
<>> wrote:> > > Please don't kill the spider!> >> >
Gorgeous photo, by the way. Mind you, with such a stunning subject, it is> >
hard to do otherwise.> >> > You are right that it is Nephila sp. and she (it is
a female) are known as> > bird-eating spiders, as are many are spiders of a
huge variety of species,> > Eating birds is very rare. Birds are not their
preferred food. Their webs> > are very strong and they will occasionally catch
a very small bird.> >> > This is a very common spider, extremely docile and a
divine creature to> > look at. Leave her be and enjoy her. I would be most
surprised if you ever> > saw a bird in the web.> >> > Other Queenslanders may
choose to disagree. I am well known for my extreme> > bias towards spiders!> >>
> Lynne> >> >> > > We have an enormous spider in our yard (in Brisbane) that we
haven't> > seen> > > before. Its spectacular, with a body length around 7-8 cm.
I think I> > > have> > > ID'd it correctly as `Nephila pilipes' The Northern
Giant Orb spider.> > The> > > link to the photo I took of it today is below:> >
> of> > > one of these eating a young lewin honeyeater that it had trapped in
its> > > nest. OMG!> > >> > > We are friends with our local birds and wouldn't
want to see them eaten> > by> > > a> > > giant spider! But its also a very cool
giant spider!> > >> > > Should we kill it to stop it from eating birds and
breedng up a colony> > of> > > giant bird eating spiders? Or just leave it? I
don't want to kill it,> > but> > > then I'd feel pretty cut if a young bird I
know died in its web.> > >> > > Thanks for your opinions!> > >> > > Cheers,> >
> Belinda> > > ===============================> > > www.birding-aus.org> > >
birding-aus.blogspot.com> > >> > > To unsubscribe from this mailing list,> > >
send the message:> > > unsubscribe> > > (in the body of the message, with no
Subject line)> > > to: > > >
===============================> > >> > >> >> >> > --> > Lynne Kelly> >> >
author, educator: http://www.lynnekelly.com.au> >> > EUMY Education:
http://www.eumyeducation.com> > ===============================> >
mailing list,> > send the message:> > unsubscribe> > (in the body of the
message, with no Subject line)> > to: > >
===============================> >> > > ------------------------------> >
Message: 17> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:33:06 +1100> From: "Gregory Little"
<>> Subject: RE: [Birding-Aus] Rainbow Lorikeets> To:
"'Robyn Charlton'" <>, "'birding-aus'">
holidaying with the family during the early 70's in> Surfers Paradise (SE
Queensland) and seeing and especially hearing lots> of Rainbow Lorikeets flying
everywhere and even finding them at a nest> hollow near the grand parents
house. Don't remember ever seeing or> hearing them in the Newcastle area at
that time. They may have been here> but I assume only in small numbers.> > Greg
Little> > Greg Little - Principal Consultant> General Flora and Fauna> PO Box
526> Wallsend, NSW, 2287, Australia> Ph 02 49 556609> Fx 02 49 556671>
www.gff.com.au> > -----Original Message-----> From:

On Behalf Of Robyn Charlton> Sent: Saturday, 15 March 2008 7:54 PM> To:
birding-aus> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Rainbow Lorikeets> > Just wondering can
anyone remember what the range was for Rainbow> Lorikeets> back in the 1970's?>
> Robyn> ===============================> www.birding-aus.org>
birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, > send the
message:> unsubscribe > (in the body of the message, with no Subject line)> to:
Database: 269.21.7/1329 - Release Date:> 14/03/2008 12:33 PM> > > > >
------------------------------> > Message: 18> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:43:30
+1100> From: "Robyn Charlton" <>> Subject: Re:
[Birding-Aus] Rainbow Lorikeets> To: "Gregory Little" <>>
Cc: birding-aus <>> Message-ID:>
area and I was a kid back then> and I don't remember them either. I remember
Eastern Rosellas, Galahs and> Sulphur-crested Cockatoos. I always thought of
them a Queensland- northern> NSW bird. It is really interesting that Steve
remembers them in Victoria. (> Steve - were they regulars then or visitors?) I
remember seeing/hearing them> in a tree (80's or early 90's) at Warner's Bay
and thinking WOW!!> > On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Gregory Little
<>> wrote:> > > Robyn> >> > I can remember holidaying with

===============================> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.>
Date:> > 14/03/2008 12:33 PM> >> >> > No virus found in this outgoing message.>
Message: 19> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:00:49 +1100> From: "Greg & Val Clancy"
<>> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Rainbow Lorikeets> To: "Robyn
Charlton" <>, "birding-aus">
format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";> reply-type=original> > In the late 1960s
and early 1970s I would see only the occasional pair of > Rainbow Lorikeets at
Woolooware, near Cronulla, Sydney, NSW. It was > rumoured that Taronga Park Zoo
released a number of cockatoos and parrots of > species known to be native to
the Sydney area. If this is true it may help > to explain the increase in
Rainbow Lorikeets in the Sydney area if they were > also released.> > > Greg