birding-aus

Canada Geese

To: "'Gregory Little'" <>, "'Tony Russell'" <>, "'birding-aus birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Canada Geese
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:01:53 +1100
Greg, Tony

While I am not on Tony's side, I wonder where you draw the line?  Dingoes
are non-native, European humans are not native.  Even the aboriginal people
are non-native (only about 60,000 years). The desire for "preservation" of
the environment as it was at some chosen point in time is always going to be
subjective.  So who has the right or the "correct" approach to deciding what
is the chosen time to be??   And for what/whose purpose?  Evolution also
includes survival of the fittest, so aboriginal people in Australia suffer
almost to extinction because European people are "fitter".

I believe that our decisions and actions against "invasive" species is
always going to be subjective on an individual basis and arguments why it is
right or wrong are also always going to be subjective.

And those who wish to preserve some version of nature frozen at a particular
time will always fail, because we cannot control what happens in nature.

Bob Cook
Axedale  VIC.