birding-aus

mortality at wind farms

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: mortality at wind farms
From: "Sandra Henderson" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:40:47 +1100
a recent article in the SMH
http://news.smh.com.au/wind-farms-could-drive-bird-species-to-extinction
-conservationists/20080304-1wqi.html gives some information about the
issue of birds and wind farms in the US - and specifically the risks to
migrating whooping cranes. It points out that thes large migrating birds
tend to use wind corridors which are also optimal places for wind farms.

The Australian Dept of Environment and Heritage published a report on
the issue in March 2006 which can be found at
http://www.environment.gov.au/epbc/publications/wind-farm-bird-risk.html
and which includes sections on specific species such as the orange
bellied parrot and wedgetailed eagles.

Birds Tasmania believes up to 18 wedgetailed eagles may have been killed
by the Woolnorth Wind Farm in Tasmania in its first year of operation
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/03/2130963.htm. the wind farm
is working to minimise the problem (exploring deterrents and turning off
turbines at high risk times).

there seem to be strong opinions on both sides of the debate - I note
that conservationist David Suzuki praises wind farms, saying climate
change (aided by conventional power generation) is likely to cause more
widespread problems for birds than will be caused by bird kill on wind
farms

Sandra Henderson
Email: