birding-aus

Eastern Deserts/Eungella

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Eastern Deserts/Eungella
From: Tim Jones <>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 09:47:47 +0000

Dear All, I am planning a solo trip to the Eastern Deserts for a week or so in
the second half of April. I have targeted certain species on a round trip which
may end up at Mackay or Townsville via Eugella NP. My main target birds are:
Carpentarian GrasswrenKalkadoon GrasswrenGrey GrasswrenEyrean
GrasswrenPurple-crowned Fairy-wrenGibberbirdHall's BabblerChestnut-breasted
Quail-thrushSpotted BowerbirdPictorella MannikinSpinifexbirdChiming
WedgebillEungella Honeyeater Other possibles include: Grey Falcon (well I can
dream)Flock BronzewingBlack-eared CuckooGround Cuckoo-shrikePainted
HoneyeaterStar FinchLetter-winged KiteGrass OwlPainted Snipe Any tips on where
to look for these birds (both targets and possibles) would be greatly
appreciated. I have done some research so I know of some of the better known
sites, but any recent updates or standard knowledge would be great (or any news
between now and departure). I plan to fly in to Mt Isa with the aim of hiring a
4wd, but I am a bit wary about safety. I don't know how necessary it is to go
off the beaten track and what precautions are really necessary. I am thinking:
- Hire car equipped with 2 spare tyres- Outback safety kit (can I get this as
part of the hire package?).- EPIRB (ditto).- Satellite phone?- GPS (anything
reasonably priced recommened?)- Places to stay (I suppose I should also hire a
tent but more often than not I would want to stay in hotels/motels/fixed
accommodation)?- OK to hire vehicle in one place and return 1200 kms away? Any
recommended hirers?- I guess a lot of these areas are underwater now (more so
in the east?), but how quickly would the roads be passable again?- Assuming
water levels OK, this could be the best possible time to do this, i.e. after
major inundation? Anyone with experience, knowledge or recommendations for any
or all of the above? Many thanks Tim

Everything in one place. All new Windows Live!