birding-aus

GPS PICTURE TRACKER PHOTOFINDER

To: "Paul Dodd" <>, "Jill Dening" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: GPS PICTURE TRACKER PHOTOFINDER
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:25:14 +1100
I'm not sure I understand exactly what this unit does.  Does it add GPS
coordinates to the EXIF headers of photos on the camera, or does it
download them to its own memory and add the data there?  Either way,
when does it do this - immediately after each photo is taken, or later
on when you connect the unit?

I'm not sure I'd be very comfortable with something trying to modify
photos in the camera's own memory, in case it corrupted them.  I guess
you'd also want to check that your camera will allow it to do that -
some cameras only allow downloading and deleting, not uploading or
modifying, but I guess there are less and less of these with each
release.

If it has to read the entire file from the camera, modify it and put it
back, that could take a considerable amount of time.  Maybe only a few
seconds but perhaps enough to disturb rapid shooting.

If the file modification happens later on, and this applies to the
software Paul described too, how does it know which coordinates from the
track to apply to each photo?  I assume it must look at the time stamps
on the photos, but that would be dependent on both time clocks being
synchronised.  These will inevitably be at least a little different, and
quite commonly an hour different because of Daylight Savings.  This
might mean a small position error or a very large one depending on how
fast you're moving.

Regarding Paul's problems getting GPS tracks to work with Google Maps,
etc, there is an excellent free program called GPSBabel
(http://www.gpsbabel.org) which can convert between a large number of
GPS track file formats, including filtering, etc.

People should also be aware that any data stored in the EXIF headers of
photos is easily lost.  It's not as true as it once was, but many
editing programs simply discard this data when you save an edited file.
So if the position is valuable to you, it's well worth having a
secondary method of getting it back, e.g. writing photo numbers and
possibly coordinates in your notes.  I suppose you could photograph your
GPS screen occasionally too.

Peter Shute