birding-aus

Medication to prevent sea-sickness

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Medication to prevent sea-sickness
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:54:17 +1000
Hi all,

Being someone for whom no anti-motion sickness medication works and someone who would like to be able to ENJOY the odd pelagic cruise now and then I have more than a passing interest in this topic. There has been more than one occasion in the few years that this topic has been raised and I have noticed one strange thing about the reponses: there does not appear to have been any response from someone claiming to be a person medically qualified to answer the question. I wonder why. Surely there is the odd medical doctor (as opposed to the countless number of academic doctors) who is a member of this list. I know I have met birdwatchers who were doctors (GPs in fact) but perhaps they have all died. It seems to me that it would be handy to have on record in the BirdingAus Archives a medically competent statement about motion-sickness and how to treat it.

Is the fact that there has been no response from a medical doctor an indication that such an action on a forum such as this would be, like, sort of, you know............unethical?
Or even illegal?

I realise I am being quite naughty by prolonging a thread which many members had hoped was ended and by mentioning 'ethics' but my curiosity has been aroused and I would like to know the answer. Motion-sickness (especially the sea-sickness form - or is that "sub-species"?) affects different people in different ways and can affect individuals in different ways on different occasions. There is, therefore, no one answer which will suit everyone every time. People who have never suffered from motion-sickness do not really understand the condition just like chronic sufferers do not understand how some people are never affected.

Of course, if there are no medical doctors on this list I won't get an answer.........ah......well.........that would be a shame as it is obvious that many users of anti-motion sickness medication don't really know what chemicals they are putting into their bodies and the possible dangerous side-effects overuse or abuse of those chemicals can cause.

In the case of anti-motion sickness medication, more is definitely not better. Blindness and Parkinson's Disease are not something that I would look forward to. Of course, if taken in the recommended dosages for the recommended periods very few people will suffer from those "side-effects".

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld