birding-aus

Red-rumped/Striated Swallow

To: John Leonard <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Red-rumped/Striated Swallow
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:26:41 -0800 (PST)
John,

Currently, Red-rumped/Striated Swallow are treated as two species within one
superspecies (Turner & Rose 1989/Swallows and Martins; Turner in Hoyo et al.
2004/Handbook of the Birds of the World; Christidis & Boles 2008). Striated is
a SE Asian species, whereas Red-rumped occurs in the remaining Asia, Europe and
North Africa. Only Red-rumped Swallow has made it in the Australian list so far
(Christidis & Boles 2008). This makes sense to me, because to my knowledge
Striated are rather sedentary/short-distance migrants, whereas at least the
northern populations of Red-rumped are long-distance migrants.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW