birding-aus

Dams and Blue Mtns Bitterns

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Dams and Blue Mtns Bitterns
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:13:38 +1100
Birders,

A belated report, but as you'll see timing's not important. I went on
a solo birding mission through Glenbrook NP on the weekend just
passed, ostensibly to see hos it was going after the rain, but with a
half-baked inward desire to find an Aussie Bittern or Pilot Bird. Of
course neither were forthcoming.

Big news for me though was that the Mt Portal waterhole (which is at
least man-enhanced, if not entirely artificial) has literally
quadrupled in area and the reeds and grassy things are very happy
about it. New growth is obvious right across the dam, which now covers
almost 30m x 30m, but it's still quite short. In 6 weeks or so it
should be positively feral and a potentially brilliant place to look
for bittern. There's plenty of frogs there and good cover, so how can
I tell if it's bittern friendly? And if it is, how do I find the
buggers? I'm prepared to consider staying late at night and listening
for booming things if necessary.

EB

--
Evan Beaver