birding-aus

No. of Local Parrot Species

To: <>
Subject: No. of Local Parrot Species
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:07:09 +1100
> Carol Probets wrote: That honour [the best place in the world to
> see parrots species] in fact goes to the Capertee Valley! There we
have
> 18 species of parrot EXcluding escapees

Hi all,

I've been doing a bit of research on the birds of Wyperfeld NP (NW Vic).
Looking at official list, and some new and historical records, it has a
total of 23 potential parrot species! (This excludes escapees)

1. Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo
2. Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo
3. Galah
4. Little Corella
5. Long-billed Corella
6. Major Mitchell's Cockatoo
7. Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
8. Cockatiel
9. Musk Lorikeet
10. Purple-crowned Lorikeet
11. Superb Parrot (Vagrant)
12. Mallee Ringneck
13. Eastern Rosella
14. Mulga Parrot
15. Red-rumped Parrot
16. Blue Bonnet
17. Budgerigar
18. Regent Parrot
19. Swift Parrot
20. Elegant Parrot
21. Blue-winged Parrot

If you include Scarlet-chested Parrot (22), a potential species and
recorded nearby at west of Murrayville, and also historical records of
Night Parrot (!) that makes 23!

FYI, see Peter Menkhorst & Andrew Isles 'The Night Parrot Geopsittacus
occidentalis Evidence of its Occurance in North-Western Victoria During
the 1950s':

http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=MU9810239.pdf

Cheers,

Tim Dolby