birding-aus

Mt St Joseph Pond - Victoria

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Mt St Joseph Pond - Victoria
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:53:07 +1100

I made my second trip to Mt St Joseph Pond last evening as I thought the
forecast rain may result in the loss of the muddy shores as happened last
time I visited.

I had a good feeling as I walked along the track on the north side of the
pond; lots of birds were active but the low sun made it difficult to make
them out clearly.  Just after the northern platform, I  saw an Australian
Hobby perched on a low bush.  I saw one on my last visit but this one was
much closer and I managed to get some photographs.  By this stage I was
feeling quietly confident that my trip would be worthwhile.

At the intersection of the northern track with the southern track, I was
startled by plump little round feathery balls darting around my feet and,
in one case, zooming up into the melaleuca - at least 8 Brown Quail.  I
wasn't quick enough with the camera and their frantic scurrying in all
directions didn't help.

When I got to the southern platform, the usual suspects were all present;
Chestnut and Grey Teal, one Black Duck, Dusky Moorhens and Purple
Swamphens, as well as Golden-headed Cisticolas that I hadn't noticed on my
previous visit.  Before long, the first Spotless Crake appeared on the mud
directly opposite the platform.  Others were soon evident with the first
one and on the mud at the eastern end and I saw at least four, two of which
were juveniles.  One flew across the pond to the reeds on the west side of
the platform but the fading light and small size of the Crake defeated my
camera's auto focus and I'm pretty sure that my photos will just show a
small blur above the water.

A Lewin's Rail came out of the reeds at the eastern end of the pond and
began bathing.  It was disturbed by a Moorhen and flew across the pond to
the clump of reeds.  It then bathed again before disappearing into the
reeds.

The 'pecking order' was interesting to watch with the Swamphens taking
pride of place and the Crakes giving way to the Moorhens.  However, one
Crake aggressively chased a smaller bird, which I think may have been a
Little Grassbird, that tried to forage in the same area.  The Golden-headed
Cisticolas were foraging in the same area as the Crakes but were tolerated.

When I walked back to my car I flushed another Brown Quail on the other
side of the path.

It was a very pleasant evening with around 20 species observed.  Thanks to
Peter and others for the status reports on this surprising suburban
habitat.

Regards

David

Any personal or sensitive information contained in this email and
attachments must be handled in accordance with the Victorian Information
Privacy Act 2000, the Health Records Act 2001 or the Privacy Act 1988
(Commonwealth), as applicable.

This email, including all attachments, is confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose, distribute, copy or use the
information contained in this email or attachments.  Any confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in
error.  If you have received it in error, please let us know by reply
email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies.