birding-aus

Two Lewin's Rails - Mt St Joseph pond, Altona,Vic

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Two Lewin's Rails - Mt St Joseph pond, Altona,Vic
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 21:37:27 +1100
Hi Peter and others
One Lewin's Rail was visible from the north platform at about 5pm today. It was walking about in shallow water amongst the reeds, then had a bit of a bathe. The chestnut colour on its head was very bright, so I assume it was male. A Spotless Crake was opposite the south platform a little later. It was also interesting to see a Black-fronted Dotterel and two Chestnut Teals all together on the partly submerged tyre in the middle of the water. There wasn't a lot of room.
Cheers,
Merrilyn

Peter Shute wrote:
With John Willis and Kim Young this morning, we finally confirmed that there is
more than one rail in the pond.

At about 7.45am Kim saw one climbing through the top of the fine reeds
(juncus?) that bow out over the water to the left of the south platform.  It
was facing directly towards us and with the sun on the light mist it wasn't
possible to be sure that's what it was.

It was a metre above the water and I haven't seen them do that before.  It
appeared to be going to great lengths to avoid having to wade or swim past an
area where perhaps there are no escape holes in order to reach the south edge.

It disappeared then reappeared briefly but long enough for me to see the
barring.

A few minutes later John spotted one sauntering left along the mud opposite the
platform, in full sun.  I'm pretty sure this one's crown was redder than the
one I saw earlier in the week, so perhaps a male?

While I was wondering if it was possible for the first bird to have flown
across without us noticing, it reappeared on the right, this time giving a
reasonable view despite the hazy light.

So, definitely two in there.  The next question is whether they're a pair, or
have young.

In the hour and a half I was there I managed to see at least four Spotless
Crakes simultaneously in various places around the pond.  They're far less wary
than they have been, and at least one adult was among them.

The water level has now dropped to the point where the mud flats start to
expand rapidly.

For those who missed the earlier directions, the pond is adjacent to Truganina
Swamp, on the north side of the railay line, at Melway ref 54 C10.

Peter Shute