birding-aus

Bush stone curlew in Five Dock

To: birdingaus <>
Subject: Bush stone curlew in Five Dock
From: "Alistair McKeough" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:09:17 +1100
Nevil Lazarus has asked me to let people know that yesterday the bush stone
curlew was attacked by a dog.

Although Nevil was able to chase away the dog the bird would appear to have
be seriously injured.

Nevil's exact words were:

"I went there yesterday, and found it sitting next to the cricket nets. I
watched it for an hour or so, and it then walked to a fence adjacent to the
creek, next to the path. It stood there for a while, and then lay down next
to the fence, which you can see in the picture attached. I was sitting on a
bench about 30mt from the bird, waiting for the light to tone down to get
some pics in good light - it was 3.45pm.

A cyclist with a dog approached - the dog attacked the bird, which, because
of the fence, could not get away. I ran and chased the dog, but the bird
was wedged under the fence, one leg broken. I eased it out from under the
fence, and it hopped and then flew, the leg dangling limply underneath."

Alistair