birding-aus

St Helens Tasmania, Pelagics

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: St Helens Tasmania, Pelagics
From: Ian May <>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:14:50 +1100
Hi All

Except for the June trips, the St Helens Tasmania 2008 pelagics birding
trips are almost booked out.. There places available on the following
dates but spaces are filling quickly.

May
15/05/2008 Two spaces available
16/05/2006 Booked out
17/05/2008 Booked out

June
19/06/2008 Five spaces
20/06/2008 Four spaces
21/06/2008 Four spaces

July
24/07/2008 Three spaces
25/07/2008 Three spaces
26/07/2008 Three spaces

Again we have chartered the 60' starboat, Nifty II, one of the most
capable ocean going charter boats in Tasmania, a proven "good sea boat"
that has excellent design characteristics including stable ride, raised
exhausts (no fumes) and provides good shelter with uninterrupted viewing
opportunities. The boat will be available on standby for a full week
over the tour periods, so if the weather is bad, we can wait for the
next break. The continental shelf is only one hour travelling from the
sheltered waters of George Bay and interesting pelagic birds are
normally seen for the entire voyage.

The cost of day trips is $130.00 or $300.00 for three days. Participants
need to book with me in advance and arrange their own food, transport
and accommodation at St Helens, although we can make these arrangements
for you if requested.

If travelling from the mainland, it is recommended to arrive at least
the day before and to plan your return at least the day after your
pelagic trip. The boat departs St Helens early each morning and returns
after a full day at sea. During winter the days are short and "black
ice" is a hazard on the roads at night

Please note that due to predictably savage “roaring forties” gales that
are prevalent in Tasmania from September to December, we do not operate
off shore birding tours from St Helens during spring. The best period is
late autumn and winter when sea conditions and sea bird watching here
are at their best and also importantly, the Short-tailed Shearwater
clutter has departed.

Also we are pleased to organize trips outside of the scheduled dates if
requested. Please contact me if you are interested in any of the above
or require further info.

Regards and good birding

Ian May
St Helens Marine Services