birding-aus

WTNT in northern Victoria, and Hattah report.

To: "BA email" <>
Subject: WTNT in northern Victoria, and Hattah report.
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:31:55 +1100
Hi Mike and all,
On 7th Feb saw 5 WTNeedletails feeding over an ephemeral swamp on the northern
plains of Victoria, 8 kms west of Pyramid Hill.   Never common here, and my
first sighting for the summer.  Clear skies and cool southerly winds fitted
exactly with weather conditions the last few times I've seen them here.

A day in Hattah NP this week was lively with 92 species recorded.  Water in
Lakes Hattah and Mournpall has numbers of duck, grebes etc and is attracting
autumn flocks of Bee-eaters and Woodswallows.    We saw two groups of
Chestnut-crowned Babblers which I had not observed before,  the first were in
the mallee on a sand dune on the west side of the Old Calder Highway 1km south
of the junction with the Nowingi track.
Another group was by the Murray at the north entrance to the park, nearby ( in
the park to the south) were White-winged Fairy-wrens, the first time I've seen
them in Hattah.
There was some mallee flowering with White-fronted Honeyeaters around, and at
one spot I'm  99 percent certain that I heard a Black Honeyeater but could not
find the bird.  A few Regent Parrots here and there, but no Pink Cockatoos, a
bird I rarely see there these days.
3 hours looking for Mallee Emu-wrens and Striated Grasswrens at regular spots
along Nowingi track failed to find either, usually succeed to see at least one
if not both these species here.

Regards,
Simon Starr,
Pyramid Hill,