birding-aus

Kimberley LNG plant - PLEASE READ

To: "'Simon Mustoe'" <>, <>
Subject: Kimberley LNG plant - PLEASE READ
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:45:25 +1100
Hi Everyone,

I've just heard back from the publicity officer of Inpex Pty Ltd regarding
my enquiry about the release of the EIS. Apparently, the release date for
viewing by the general public will not be until mid- to late-2008.

Simon, I'm a lot more cynical about this project than you are and believe it
is a foregone conclusion. As someone who carried out ecological research on
Barrow Island in the early 1990s, I'm aware first-hand of the immense
conservation value of islands along the Pilbara and Kimberley coastlines. In
many ways they are Australia's Galapagos Islands. Both the WA Department of
Conservation & Environment & the EPA of WA opposed the use of Barrow Is for
the Gorgon Oil Project, but it was still given approval by the WA & Federal
Governments. The proponents (Chevron) argued that the Gorgon Project would
inject about $20 billion into the Australian economy, which is probably why
it was approved. I suspect that the economic benefits of the Maret Is
project will similarly outweigh the environmental considerations, but I hope
I'm wrong.

Regards,
Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose