birding-aus

bilingual galah

To: <>
Subject: bilingual galah
From: MS Weerheim <>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 04:24:39 +0100
Cycling along the Swan River foreshore in Perth I came across a Galah in
amongst a group of Little Corella's who was doing a near-perfect Corella call.
I caught it out because its pitch was a little bit too high and after listening
for a while it occasionally made a mistake: "mwehehehe - shrrip" adding a
little galah-chirp at the end.

I stared at this bird for quite a while and despite several reports of
galah-corella hybrids I am still convinced this bird is a fullblood galah,
albeit one with an opportunistic streak - If you can't find the birds you love,
love the birds you find.

I saw it again this morning, feeding in among a group of Little Corella's close
to where I noticed it the first time. It seems to be part of the group.

On a trip along the coast a last year I was fascinated by the calls of Little
Penguins coming out of the top of a gum tree and again discovered a group of
galahs showing off their mimicking skills. Again, the immitation was not
perfect but came very close.

I am interested to hear if anyone else has experience with mimicking galahs.

Maree - Perth, WA