birding-aus

silly Koala question

Subject: silly Koala question
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:59:44 +1100
Nick
neither Port Douglas nor Sydney are good places to find wild koalas - they
are quite rare in both areas.  The centre of the universe for Koalas is
Victoria where they are common and widespread, indeed they are present at
unsustainable densities in some places. The best area in either Qld or NSW
is in south-east Qld between Brisbane and the Gold Coast - but you would
need to get local advice from the National Parks people to be confident of
finding any.

I suggest that you come to Melbourne and take a drive along the Great
Ocean Rd thru Lorne to Kennett River where they can be easily seen in and
around the camping ground. Plenty of good birding in this area as well. A
few kms past Kennett River you will see an entire Blue Gum forest that is
being killed by a koala population that is at unsustainably high density
and is steadily eating all the available foliage. Koalas are easily found
along the Great Ocean Rd between Lorne and Wye River, and along the Grey
River Rd at Kennett River - you dont even have to get out of your vehicle.

 Besides, Victorian koalas are much more cute than Queensland ones -
southern koalas are bigger, have longer fur and just look better than the
over-heated tropical ones [a similar thing happens with us humans].

cheers

Peter Menkhorst

I'm going to be honeymooning in Aus from the UK in July. I have two weeks
in
Port Douglas and a week in Sydney (including a trip to Wollongong). My
future wife would love to see a wild koala. Can anybody tell me where we
might have the best chance of seeing one and, preferably, where I can do a
bit of birding at the same time - see I'm already manipulating my future,
non-birding wife's holidays so i can sneak extra birding in, but it's an
occupational hazard for those that want to marry us birders. We will have
car for any travel.

cheers

Nick Brooks

Notice:
confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright.No part of it should be
reproduced,
adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the copyright
owner.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return
email, delete
it from your system and destroy any copies. You are not authorised to use,
communicate or rely on the information
contained in this email.