birding-aus

How do loudly calling birds not deafen themselves?

To: <>, <>
Subject: How do loudly calling birds not deafen themselves?
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:30:45 +1100

I think that both Paul and Andrew are correct in their explanations.

Interestingly, though, Dooling has also shown that hair cell regeneration never keeps up with hair cell death. So it would seem that there would be some permanent loss of hearing if a bird is exposed to extended periods of loud noise. It is also likely that birds can lose some hearing as they age, as more hair cells die and have a reduced ability to regenerate.

Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose

Ryde, NSW