birding-aus

Currarong, swifts, etc [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

To: <>
Subject: Currarong, swifts, etc [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
From: <>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 15:35:53 +1100
Hi all,

I spent a week in and around Currarong (Beecroft Peninsula - northern
end of Jervis Bay, NSW) from 20-27 January.

Mike, White-throated Needletail sightings were:
Sun 20 Jan 2008 19:20h:  4 birds over town, heavy overcast, showers both
prior and afterwards.
Wed 23 Jan 2008  8:25h:  ca 10 birds over town, fine and clear.
Fri 25 Jan 2008  9:10h:  ca 18 birds over town, overcast/clearing, warm
and humid.
Sat 26 Jan 2008 8:00h:  3 birds over peninsula heathland, clear blue
skies.

It was also really good to visit the Lake Wollumboola Little Tern
nesting colony several times. Thanks to volunteers Frances and Kerry I
was able on one occasion to go into the fenced off area with them and
see at close range the nests, eggs and chicks.

Waders on a small sandbar in Lake Wollumboola included a couple of
Curlew Sandpipers, a Ruddy Turnstone, and three Sharp-tailed Sandpipers
at different times, as well as regular Bar-tailed Godwits (18); also
Red-capped Plovers, Crested Terns, Caspian Terns (up to 4), Chestnut
Teal (ca 200), pelicans, cormorants, silver Gulls etc.

At the car park in Culburra at the NE corner of Lake Wollumboola I heard
and saw a Red-whiskered Bulbul. I previously saw one in mid Jan 2006 in
one of the main streets of Currarong. Does anyone know how far south
these birds occur these days - are they slowly spreading down the coast?

Harvey Perkins
Canberra

Classification: UNOFFICIAL