birding-aus

Re: I am a dog owner - I am not the enemy

To: "Robert Inglis" <>
Subject: Re: I am a dog owner - I am not the enemy
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 18:04:21 +1100
My two cent motto is that its better to "Inform not Warn".

It really annoys me to see on crucial breeding or habitat areas, signs
that just say  "Keep out" or "No dogs allowed".  Why not have an
accompanying sign that explains the importance of the area, the threats
the species faces and the impact humans will have by breaching the fenced
off area.    If anyone then willingly disregards the sign, then let all
hell break loose on them....nicely of course ; ). But people are
interested by different things, and not everyone shares the same
headspace, so you cant expect everyone to act the same. Share the
knowledge i say and inform the ignorant.

"Robert Inglis" <>
Sent by:
01/02/2008 05:28 PM

"Birding-Aus" <>
cc

Subject
[Birding-Aus] Re: I am a dog owner - I am not the enemy

Hey! Wendy! I think you have been reading my mail!!

Actually my very best most favourite hobby is misanthropy.

A tale of a dog..............

A few years ago I was photographing a Kelp Gull down the road from where I

was then living in SE Queensland.
Kelp Gulls are rather rare visitors to that part of the world.
During the process a young couple came along pushing a pram with a very
young baby in it and leading an Alsatian dog.
They came close to me and asked me what I was doing.
I immediately had the thought that a question like that did not auger well

for the baby's mental development.

I explained I was taking photographs. They seemed to understand and stayed

still and quiet while keeping the dog under control until I had finished.
After a few more minutes I finished my photography, switched of the camera

and gathered up my gear.
I thanked the couple, we exchanged smiles and I began to walk away.
The couple then released the dog which ran straight at the bird I had been

photographing. The couple made no sound or physical attempt to stop the
dog
but simply looked on in rapture as their pet did "what dogs do naturally".

I suddenly felt very tired and developed an uncontrollable desire to be
somewhere else.

What do you say to people like that.
They obviously had the combined brain power of a desiccated ant and would
not have been able to comprehend any possibility of having done anything
wrong.

I suppose there are some truly bad dogs but they are few and far between.
Usually the problem has been created by a human through choosing the wrong

type of dog and/or an inability or unwillingness to train and care for the

dog properly.

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point