birding-aus

2. Re: News story calling for cull or corellas

To: "John Tongue" <>
Subject: 2. Re: News story calling for cull or corellas
From: "Natalia Atkins" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:05:07 +1000
Hi John,

The `humanity' of killing large numbers of other species probably can be
debated, but I won't go there.  The main problem with culling, as I see it,
is that the population of the species will repleinish itself via annual
breeding so long as the food supply is there. Culling equates with
destroying large groups of animals year after year (potentially). Even if
the practice is supported ethically, it is not an efficient solution.

Whatever the Galahs are eating would be a better focus. Reduce that, and the
population will reduce itself naturally and disperse. I doubt that one man's
bird feeder is the sole food supply in the area. There would be species of
grasses and seeds in local ovals and backyards that would attract them also.
Off the cuff, a bit of council spraying could help.

And where are these parrot's- Corella, Galahs- natural predators? What
happened to them?