birding-aus

NSW - Sea watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra & East Lakes - 28th Jan 08

To: <>
Subject: NSW - Sea watch from Magic Pt, Maroubra & East Lakes - 28th Jan 08
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:21:23 +1100
Yesterday afternoon (28/1/08), David Mitford, Lorne Johnson and I, enjoyed a
good few hour's sea watching from Magic Pt in Maroubra (approx. 10km south
of the Sydney CBD). Winds were mainly light to moderate south-easterly
breezes during that afternoon. The highlight for all 3 of us was an adult
WHITE-TAILED TROPICBIRD which took off from the water and flew high, fast
and gracefully until if was out of sight. It's long white tail streamers
where obvious even at distance. This may be the first for Maroubra!

Other good sightings that afternoon were a few close in Long-tailed Jaegers
and a few Flesh-footed Shearwaters amongst hundreds of Wedge-tailed
Shearwaters.

Lorne also spotted a Fur Seal as it briefly surfaced and this was the only
sea mammal seen that afternoon. We also had a fly past of 2 Eastern Curlews
with a Bar-tailed Godwit.

Species recorded that afternoon (time 1500 to 1900 approx) from Magic Pt
Maroubra and approximate numbers were as follows:

Fairy Penguin (heard)
Wedge-tailed Shearewater (500)
Flesh-footed Shearwater (5)
Short-tailed Shearwater (5)
Fluttering Shearwater (40)
Australasian Gannet (15)
WHITE-TAILED TROPIC BIRD (1)
Great Cormorant (2)
Arctic Jaeger (3)
Pomarine Jaeger (20)
Long-tailed Jaeger (5)
Silver Gull (100)
Crested Tern (7)

Mammals recorded:

Fur Seal (1)

I have not done a sea watch since last September and this certainly made a
good start for 2008.

Edwin

Before heading to Maroubra, Lorne and I made also a brief visit to East
Lakes in the hope of finding a Little Bittern. No Little Bitterns were on
show but we accidentally put to flight a group of about 30 Latham's Snipe in
one small area and there were also about 15 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers amongst
other birds.

Edwin