birding-aus

Norfolk Island

To: Jan England <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Norfolk Island
From: Barry Davies <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:42:35 +1000
Hi Jan,
I have been to Norfolk many times and am going again soon. As I'm sure you are aware it is very small, 8kms x 5kms but, surprisingly, in spite of that some birds can be hard to find. There are many introduced birds and they are the ones you will see most often particularly Blackbirds and Song Thrushes. Goldfinches are present but hard to find and Greenfinches are a real challenge but are present in the south-eastern corner in my experience. California Quail are best seen near Anson bay. The real birds, ie natives, can be more elusive. The endemic Gerygone (subsp) is common and widespread as is the Sacred Kingfisher (subsp) and Fantail (subsp) but the Pacific Robin (sp), Golden Whistler (subsp), Long-billed Whiteye (sp) and the Red-fronted Parakeet (sp) locally called Green Parrot are mainly confined to the national park which is easily accessible and has good tracks. Take the track down from Mt Pitt towards Mt Bates and you should see these birds. Wild Green Parrots often hang around the aviary in the Botanic Garden. White-breasted White-eye has been reported in recent years but not confirmed. There are also Welcome Swallows, Crimson Rosellas (Red Parrots), Nankeen Kestrels, Emerald Doves, Swamphens and feral chooks, ducks and geese. Masked Woodswallows are present but hard to find. I've only had one fleeting glimpse of them. Sea birds are what you go to Norfolk to see. What you see depends on the time of the year. At present there are large numbers of Black-winged Petrels, Wedge-tailed Shearwaters, Red-tailed Tropicbirds, Sooty Terns, Common and Black Noddys, Grey Ternlets and Masked Booby. You may also see White-necked and Kermedec Petrels, Frigatebirds and other species. Go to Puppy's Point at night and the Shearwaters will be sitting on the grass in front of their nests. The Hundred Acre reserve is probably the best mainland site for seeing nesting seabirds. Whilst all of these birds can be seen from the main island I recommend a trip to Philip Is for the best view. It is a bit tricky getting off the boat and the climb looks daunting but it is only steep at the beginning. If you are fit enough to do the Philip Is trek it is a must do trip. Most of the seabirds can be seen in winter but it far fewer numbers. Providence Petrels and Little Shearwaters are more likely in winter. On the foreshore at Kingston look for Pacific Golden Plover, Double-banded Plover, Wandering Tattler and other waders. If you want a birding guide contact Margaret Christian at

Good luck and have a good time.
Regards,
Barry Davies
Gondwana Guides
Beechmont Qld.

Jan England wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I hope to go to Norfolk Island soon and was wondering if anyone had been there
recently and could give me uptodate information on places to go and birds to
see.   I know that there is an updated section in Pizzey (still waiting for my
copy) and in Morcombe but I was looking for current information and a bird
contact if possible.

Thanks

Jan