birding-aus

Lewin's Rail and Swift Parrot near Strahan

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Lewin's Rail and Swift Parrot near Strahan
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:35:59 +1100
Hello all,

I've just returned from a week of showing my sister and niece around Tasmania. There wasn't a great deal of time spent actually birdwatching but I did see or at least hear some interesting things.

In Strahan (central west coast of Tasmania) I heard a couple of Swift Parrots and then watched them fly away. They are unusual in the west. While there we went on a Gordon River cruise. I kept my eyes peeled for Azure Kingfisher which is a very rare bird in Tasmania but alas no kingfishers. However, while on Sarah Island which is in Macquarie Harbour near the mouth of the Gordon River I heard Lewin's Rail. It was particularly vocal while our very loud (foghorn voice) tour guide bellowed about convicts and Sarah Island's interesting past. It did quite a bit of growling. I wonder whether it was saying "Shut up... shut up..." Tasmanian Devil, Brushtail Possum, Tasmanian Pademelon and Common Wombat all at close quarters in the Cradle Valley were very exciting for sis and niece (and for me as well).

Also, I have put up the first Macquarie Island pages on my website (www.wildlifing.com). They cover Gentoo Penguin and Southern Elephant Seal.

Cheers

Mick

--