birding-aus

Fwd: Leanyer sewage ponds (Darwin)

To: Syd Curtis <>, Frank O'Connor <>, Birding Aus <>, Barbara Backers <>, "" <>, Valda Ioane <>, Susan Fraser-Adams <>, Harmony Teelow <>
Subject: Fwd: Leanyer sewage ponds (Darwin)
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:25:23 +0930
Hi Syd
I don't know of any such record, but heck, it sounds like a close call.

Once, when we were featuring in a documentary, I was asked to catch small
fish to use as bait for file snake.  We were at the Goomadeer River, in
western Arnhem Land.  I threw my castnet over some, but unfortunately it
snagged on a branch, right near the spot my relatives had told me, was
occupied by a large "Ginga".

To free the net I needed to bend over, a risky manoevre as then one appears
snack size to a large croc!  So I called to the camera man, Leighton de
Barros and the presenter for help.  Leighton was in the water like a shot.
One of my favourite men.

Many years ago my semi-traditional relatives taught me to clap the water in
a special way saying that it would attract fish but scare crocodiles away.
I sometimes use the technique when birdwatching in or near water (I spend a
lot of time in mangroves).

 Theoretically crocodiles are supposed to leave me alone as I've Crocodile
Dreaming.  But I don't want to put it to the test!
Regards
Denise