birding-aus

Edithvale Wetlands - Victoria

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Edithvale Wetlands - Victoria
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:10:29 +1100

I visited the Edithvale Wetlands for the first time last evening and spent
a very rewarding couple of hours enjoying the prolific wildlife.

I missed out on the Magpie Geese - four recent visitors and one long term
resident - but that's a good reason for a return visit.  A very close view
of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers from the hide reminded me of how miraculous the
migratory flights of these small birds are.  Watching the ducklings and
cygnets and the general response to Harrier overflights was very
entertaining.

It was disappointing to see Common (Indian) Mynas using the nesting boxes
and it would be good if there was more proactive management.

That brings me to the matter of the Friends of Edithvale Wetlands - a
voluntary group that has done much to ensure that we can enjoy this
fantastic resource.  The Friends group is like many voluntary
organisations; relying on an aging and shrinking membership.  Unless new
members can be recruited to take over the running of the group it will fade
away in the very near future.  I encourage anyone with an interest in
birds, conservation, natural history, etc to join the Friends of Edithvale
Wetlands and take up executive positions so that their good work can
continue for future generations

Regards

David

Any personal or sensitive information contained in this email and
attachments must be handled in accordance with the Victorian Information
Privacy Act 2000, the Health Records Act 2001 or the Privacy Act 1988
(Commonwealth), as applicable.

This email, including all attachments, is confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose, distribute, copy or use the
information contained in this email or attachments.  Any confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in
error.  If you have received it in error, please let us know by reply
email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies.