birding-aus

Artic Jaegar, Godwin Beach, SEQ

To: <>, "Robert Inglis" <>
Subject: Artic Jaegar, Godwin Beach, SEQ
From: "russ lamb" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 11:05:21 +1000
Following Bob Inglis's idiosyncratic notification of the Artic Jaegar, and
being  significantly jaegar-deprived, unsettled that 2007 had brought only one
addittion to my Aussie life list, and stir-crazy from enduring over 500mm of
rain over the past 4 weeks (yes, I know it's needed elsewhere, please, please
take it) we headed down the mountain to Godwin Beach yesterday arvo.
  And searched the relatively small area without success for the jaegar, but
enjoying nevertheless the impressive number of waders easily seen on the
half-tide from the safey of the car. It was just good to be out in elements,
wild as they were. One other Ausie jaeger-deprived birder arrived (Bob, you'll
have to give less ambiguous messages) so we exchanged New Year's gretings. My
simplistic jaeger-locating brain told me I needed to find some feeding terns
and gulls so off to Bribie Is via Sandstone Point. We checked the Passage,
Buckley's Hole sandbar, the surf beach at Woorim, and the Bribie Is RSL without
finding any feeding terns/gulls or the jaeger. But we had a fun arvo out, and I
was able to kick-start my year list.

Russ Lamb, rain drenched Maleny,SEQ