birding-aus

Birds at South Beach, near Margaret River, WA

To: <>
Subject: Birds at South Beach, near Margaret River, WA
From: "Dr Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:10:52 +1100
A short visit to South Beach, south of Margaret River, yesterday (Sun 30/12)
on a day with a brisk south-westerly wind and big surf produced the
following birds sheltering on the rocks at the northern end of the beach:

Sanderling  100+ (while regular in summer at this site in small numbers,
this is by far the largest flock I've seen there - or anywhere else in
Australia for that matter)

Ruddy Turnstone  6

Grey Plover  1

Grey-tailed Tattler  1

Pied Oystercatcher  2

Sooty Oystercatcher  10 (also the greatest number I have ever seen)

Pacific Gull (juveniles)  2

Silver Gull - numerous

Additional species included a Great Cormorant on the beach (and subsequently
diving in the heavy surf beyond the rocks!), a Pied Cormorant in sheltered
water, and shearwater spp and a single albatross well off-shore.

Richard NOWOTNY

Port Melbourne, Victoria