birding-aus

Powerful owl.. Brisbane suburbs

To: <>
Subject: Powerful owl.. Brisbane suburbs
From: "Col and Chris" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:49:40 +1000
Over the last week or two  we have been hearing a bird calling at night in the
creek reserve adjacent to our home in Cornubia, a southern suburb of Brisbane.
It was a fairly high pitched set of about six  to ten ascending whistling
notes.  It was something I had not heard before in many years of birding.
Last night at about 11.30 we heard it again quite close , so out of bed I
grabbed torch and bins and my wife followed with camera and tripod.  We soon
located a powerful owl in a close tree and were able to get several photos of
what I believe was a juvenile. After checking several internet sites I found
this one

http://www.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/april2005/

which has some audio of the begging call of juv powerful owls which clearly
matched what we were hearing.
There had been a known nesting site for P/owl in Venman Reserve (which is about
2km from home directly) but we have not been able to find it for several years.
It is great to know that powerful owls are doing fairly well in Brisbane (as
well as Sydney) and I was wondering if other people have heard this juvenile
begging call (which seems to me to be very non owl like!).  I also would like
to know how long the Juveniles are dependant on parents and when juv would need
to find territory of their own?

Regards.......  Col and Chris Fitzell