birding-aus

Crested Pigeon, 13th Beach nr Barwon Heads

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Crested Pigeon, 13th Beach nr Barwon Heads
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 22:30:59 +1000
Looks like the real question is when they will turn up at Flinders Island on their way through to Tasmania.

Laurie.

On Friday, December 28, 2007, at 10:15  PM, Russell Woodford wrote:

1 Crested Pigeon on overhead wires at 13th Beach, near the wind turbine at Black Rock, yesterday Dec 27. This is the first time I've observed this
species on the surf coast.

Crested Pigeons around the Geelong region have been mentioned a few times
on this list over the last 5 or 6 years. In that time, they have bred
regularly at a number of sites in the region, and expanded form occasional
sightings on the northern edge of the city, and less frequently around
Lake Connewarre to the south. Yesterday's bird was further south and west
than any I've heard of - but I'm sure they are probably being seen at
other places along the coast by now. Has anybody seen them at Torquay yet?
It seems only a matter of time.

Russell Woodford