birding-aus

Christmas Day at Long Reef

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Christmas Day at Long Reef
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:23:12 +1100
Hi all and Merry Christmas
25 December was cool and breezy in Sydney, so instead of enjoying a morning
lounging on the beach, we went for a bracing walk instead, visiting Long reef
between 1:30 and 2, with the tide falling.  I saw 30+ Golden Plover on the
north side of the reef flat as the reef flat just started to be exposed.  There
were 12 Sooty Oystercatchers spread out across the reef flat and also lots of
Crested Terns, R/N Stint, Ruddy Turnstone and a few Tattlers.  Something
flushed all the waders off, but I don't know what - the Crested Terns were
pretty upset for a few minutes after too
A single Little Penguin was observed fishing just off the reef opposite the
lookout/Aussie Flag in the bay.
Offshore there were quite a few shearwater, including one much paler individual
a reasonable way out - possibly a Bullers? (I was 'scopeless, so that's as good
as it got in terms of ability to work out what it was!)
Cheers
Tom Wilson