birding-aus

RFI Coastal NSW and Sydney

To: Paul Dodd <>, 'birding-aus' <>
Subject: RFI Coastal NSW and Sydney
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 08:51:09 +0000
Dear Paul and Ruth,

If you decide to detour a bit and come up to Brisbane by the inland route via
Tenterfield I would recommend birding in and around Girraween National Park.
If you follow the signs to the park from the main highway (before Ballandean)
you will come to a junction with Girraween to the left and the Old Wallangarra
Road to the right.  Some of the best birding is to be had on the Old
Wallangarra Road, in the paddock opposite the first winery you come to.  It is
a good spot for, amongst other things, Turquoise Parrots, Plum-headed Finch,
Diamond Firetails, Southern Whiteface, Scarlet Honeyeater, White-browed
Babbler, Hooded Robin,Yellow-tufted Honeyeater.  We've seen all these birds in
December/January.

If you go to Roberts Waterhole in Girraween itself you may be lucky enough to
see/hear the northern race of the Superb Lyrebird - saw one there in December
06.  The Underwater Creek track is good for Rufous Fantails, Scarlet Robins,
Cicadabird and the occasional Red-browed Treecreeper.  If you are feeling
energetic and it is not raining (the granite rocks are treacherous in the wet),
the views are great from the top of the Pyramids.  Cunningham's Skinks are
common there, but can also be seen in the rocks around the campgrounds in the
park.

If you have time to detour to Sundown National Park, via the road out of
Ballandean, you can get dry country birds not too far into the park.  Summer
before last we had great views of 3 Ground Cuckoo-shrike.

As you head towards Warwick its always worth stopping in Cunningham's Gap to
pick up rainforest species.  When you get back on the road and start to head
down the other side of the Gap towards Brisbane, look out for 2 male Peacocks.
We've seen them on two separate occasions about 1 km from the car park on the
left hand side.  Not a 'tick' but an unusual sight nonetheless!

Regards

Judith

> From: > To: > Date: Sun, 23 Dec
> 2007 15:44:03 +1100> Subject: [Birding-Aus] RFI Coastal NSW and Sydney> > Hi
> everyone,> > > > Ruth and I are driving coastal from Melbourne to Fraser
> Island in Queensland> this holiday period and would love any ideas people
> have for “hot spots”> (for birding, that is!) along the NSW coast and
> including Sydney. We don’t> have any specific species in mind, but are
> interested mostly in those that> we wouldn’t get in Victoria.> > > > We have
> ideas already for SE Queensland, but are open to other people’s> thoughts
> there too.> > > > When we head back in January we’ll come back inland – we
> haven’t decided on> the actual route yet, but if there’s any must see spots,
> we’ll certainly> take that into account.> > > > Thanks in advance!> > > >
> Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!> > > > Paul Dodd and Ruth
> Woodrow> > Docklands, Melbourne> > > > > No virus found in this outgoing
> message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database:
> 269.17.6/1193 - Release Date: 22/12/2007> 2:02 PM> >
> ==========www.birding-aus.org> birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe
> from this mailing list, > send the message:> unsubscribe > (in the body of
> the message, with no Subject line)> to: >
It's simple! Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org