birding-aus

I and the Bird

To: Dave Torr <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: I and the Bird
From: Trevor Hampel <>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 22:11:39 +1030

Dave Torr wrote:
I am not a great believer in blogs - but I do subscribe to many "newsgroups" on many subjects and they all provide me with regular postings containing either new articles or references to new articles. I guess as a non-blog user my question is why it is necessary to regularly advertise that a blog has changed - can people not subscribe and be notified of changes?

You are correct - it is not necessary to regularly advertise that a blog has been updated. If the person writing the blog has set up RSS feeds (that stands for Really Simple Syndication) they are notified each time a blog is updated.

Some people have hundreds of these notifications coming into their inboxes. I have chosen not to do this - my time is too precious. On my blog sites however, I do offer that facility for those who want it - it's their choice if they want to spend all day reading blog articles.

"I and the Bird" is a little different. It is only published every fortnight. It has a different host every issue, so the format changes. Some compilers have been very imaginative in their approach. It is like a digest of articles about birds from all over the world. That's why some people like to be notified of updates. Of course, they could also subscribe to the newsletter!

"I and the Bird" is best called a carnival, a term with a peculiar usage amongst bloggers. There are carnivals - digests of blog articles - on almost any topic you can imagine - and some you'd never have thought of in a lifetime. Most popular tend to be politics (yuck -enough on the news as it is), animals, cats , dogs, food, travel, health, fitness etc etc.

Over 3000 active carnivals are listed here:

http://blogcarnival.com/bc/

In a bizarre twist, the very first carnival was called "Carnival of the insanities."

Happy birding,

Trevor
--
Trevor Hampel