birding-aus

Oystercatcher eyes

To: <>, <>, <>, <>
Subject: Oystercatcher eyes
From: "Annette Harrison" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:59:17 +1100

Also, thought someone out there may be able to comment on a query I've
received.

Recently I attended a conference and a presentation was given on using
eye-flecks in oystercatchers to determine sex (see below). The author
has now put a call out asking whether our Ausi Pied and Sooty
Oystercatchers, also the NZ species have them. I've sent some photos
along to him, but wasn't sure as I hadn't paid any particular attention
to it. If any of you are aware of this or have good photos of the eye it
might be worth emailing Brian.

Thanks,

Annette