birding-aus

Gang-gangs, South Turramurra, Sydney

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Gang-gangs, South Turramurra, Sydney
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:30:46 +1100
Hi all
after spending plenty of time last weekend in the Blue Mt searching for Gang-gangs with my Dad (and we finally got one at Mt Wilson at lunch on our last day as we were heading back to Sydney), it was almost certain that I would now see some more with no effort...and so it has proved. This afternoon (Sunday 25 Nov) at about 5;15pm, I was waiting outside the school hall at Turramurra High School on Maxwell St, South Turramurra for my daughter to finish a rehearsal for an upcoming concert. I was without binoculars, but I saw 2 largish, dark birds fly into a gum tree on the other side of the oval, with a possible flash of red? So I strolled over to check them out and there, about 10 metres up were a male & female, quietly creaking and feeding on gum nuts - the binoculars were not necessary as the male then clambered down until he was about 5 metres up. I heard 2 others heard calling from slightly further away. The SW boundary of the school grounds backs onto the Upper Lane Cove Valley, so I presume they came from there.
I haven't broken the news of the ease of this sighting to my Dad yet....
Cheers
Tom Wilson