birding-aus

The Narrabeen Lagoon Ospreys.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: The Narrabeen Lagoon Ospreys.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:09:27 +1100
Hello Birding-aussers,

After two unsuccessful breeding attempts in 2005 and 2006 the Narrabeen Lagoon
Ospreys tried again this year in a new location.
This time it was in a dead eucalypt on Middle Creek which runs into the western
side of the lagoon.

I am pleased and relieved to say that this year they were successful, they
fledged  a single chick sometime between the 14-11-2007 and 21-11-2007. When I
visited the nest on the 14Th. the chick was still nest-bound and on my next
visit on the 21St. it flew to the nest from a nearby tree. Probably not a long
distance flyer yet but still - getting about!

I say relieved because I was not looking forward to the possibility of
reporting still another failed breeding attempt.

I understand from discussions with Alan Morris that this will be the first
successful Osprey breeding for the Sydney region.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox on Sydney's Northern Beaches.