birding-aus

Birding from Leeton to Melbourne

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Birding from Leeton to Melbourne
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 23:13:56 +1100
Hi all,

Just got back from a trip to the Leeton Birdfair.  The fair itself was
a lot of fun, and the birding both at Leeton and on the way back to
Melbourne was spectacular.  Pete Kyne and myself spent time at
Fivebough Wetland where we recorded Little Bittern, Australasian
Bittern, Freckled Duck, Baillon's, Spotless and Spotted Crake, and
Black-tailed Godwit as well as many of the regular more common
residents.  We also had a fly-by of a flock of Superb Parrots, though
we had better views in the nearby state forest.

After the fair, we headed back to Melbourne via Terrick Terrick NP.
While we dipped on Plainswanderer (the evening was very windy, and we
were walking), we did manage to find Inland Dotterel and Australian
Pratincole at Terrick Terrick Grassland Reserve.  There were also over
100 Banded Lapwings there.

The next morning we spent some time at Kamarooka NP near Bendigo, and
had great views of many honeyeaters including Black-chinned, Fuscous,
Brown-headed, White-plumed and Yellow-tufted.  We also saw Crested
Bellbird, Diamond Firetail, Rufous Songlark, Crested Shrike-Tit and
Dusky, Masked, and White-browed Woodswallows at Camp Rd Dam.  One pair
of White-browed Woodswallows were attending a nest with
nearly/recently fledged young.  We also found a Varied Sitella nest
elsewhere in the park.  We also had a Brush Bronzewing loafing near
Millwood Dam.  In Whipstick NP we managed to get onto a pair of Shy
Heathwrens on a road without a name (even in VicRoads).

This was my first time to these areas and I can wholeheartedly
recommend all three of them.

Regards,
Chris