birding-aus

Mt Lewis, FNQ

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Mt Lewis, FNQ
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:11:29 +1000
I had just tracked down a Tooth-billed Bowerbird's ginger-decorated space and was walking back along the road to the borrow-pit when I heard a fruit-dove calling. It sounded like the species I'd been keeping an eye out (without joy) for a very long time. It also sounded reasonably close, so I "answered" it and moved to a position where I thought I might be able to find it in the canopy.

I managed to get a bead on the bird, muttering "Maroon head, scarlet shoulders, white chest ... YOU BEAUTY". Truly a superb moment when you finally get to see one of those elusive beggars in the field.

I was up on Mt Lewis looking for Blue-faced Parrot-finch along the margins of the road [as you do]. Keith Fisher said to look out for Red-browed Firetails - I saw a few groups of them, but no BFP.

A long time ago, there were tin-miners scratching around on the mountain - the rainforest is full of tracks going in all directions, and there are more pink ribbons leading into the forest than you can poke a stick at. My cousin wanted to check out the Ho Chi Minh trail, so we had a look at the old dam [a spot where I saw a Golden Bowerbird in 2003] and then down the main track to the ecotone where we found an old Bunya Pine.

We saw a range of birds on the mountain, including Spotted Catbirds, Tooth-billed Bowerbirds, Chowchillas, Bower's Shrike-thrushes, Bridled Honeyeaters, Yellow-throated Scrub-wrens, Eastern Whipbirds, Mountain Thornbills, Grey Fantails and Grey-headed Robins etc.

While the search for the BFP had again been unsuccessful, it was nice listening to the varied calls of the bowerbirds and shrike-thrushes. Even better, I finally got so see the fruit-dove that is heard much more frequently than seen.

A classic case of finding a new bird but not the one I was particularly looking for.

Regards, Laurie.