birding-aus

Jacana/Grebe interaction Mt Barnett

To: "BirdsWA" <>
Subject: Jacana/Grebe interaction Mt Barnett
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:01:40 +0900
Mt Barnett is 300km east of Derby along the Gibb River Road in the Kimberley,
Western Australia. The aboriginal community here has a single small sewage pond
perhaps 40m by 20m and the shallow sides are lined with rocks. An adjacent pond
is dry or has a small skim of water that trickles from the overflow pipe. A
third pond full of grass and trees fills up only when it is seriously wet
during the height of the wet season and then White-browed Crakes turn up and
raise a brood of chicks before disappearing again.

On 3 November an immature Comb-crested Jacana turned up and spent that day and
the 4th simply walking and wading round and round the rocky edge of the main
pond. The 4 Australasian Grebes seemed to take exception to the Jacana. As it
waded a Grebe would dive and head towards the Jacana. The water would boil at
its feet and the Jacana would leap into the air and land a metre or so farther
along. Apparently the Grebe was pecking its legs or toes. While I was there
this occurred several times.

Like the Orange Chat I reported on recently a Comb-crested Jacana seems a very
unlikely species to be found here at our little rocky-edged sewage pond. It was
gone this morning no doubt in search of some nice soft waterlily leaves.

Don Hadden

PMB 922
Derby
WA 6728