birding-aus

Birding in Australia

Subject: Birding in Australia
From: "Martin Gottschling" <>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 21:38:38 +0100
Hi,

from 18.11.07 to 06.01.08 I'll be birding in Australia, start in Sydney, go to
Darwin, do the way Townsville to Cairns, fly to Iron Range and finish in
Brisbane. Now I've some questions, maybe anybody of you can help me:

1) I took a look in the book Thomas & Thomas to look for site descriptions, can
anybody confirm, that most of the site decriptions (especially for the national
parks and othe "big" sites) are still reliable? I can imagine, that probably
the descriptions for some small pools etc. won't still work.

2) I heard that in Sydney is a reliable landbased site to see Little Blue
Penguin all around the year, can you describe how to find the site and at which
time of the day I can see the birds there? My most southernly point will be
Wollongong, so this seems to be the only chance to get the penguin.

3) What do you think is the most essential way to see most of the birdspecies,
that occuar up to the range of Sydney and NOT further north, e.g. Superb
Lyrebird, Gang Gang Cockatoo, Pilot bird etc.? Is it good to start with the
Royal NP? What's another good site near Sydney?

4) Can I get actual and reliable sites for Owls and other nightbirds?

5) Does anybody know, if the site description in Thomas & Thomas is still good
enough to find the specialities in Iron Range? or are there other good sites
near Lockhart River Airport?

Hope that anybody can help me with these and maybe some more questions, thanks
a lot in advance,

Martin Gottschling
Germany
e-mail: