birding-aus

bird from Mitchell's 1844 Expedition

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: bird from Mitchell's 1844 Expedition
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:57:39 +1100
We'll probably never know. I should have said that in earlier expeditions
Mitchell had followed the Bogan River down to the Darling and followed that
down for several hundred kms, then in another expedition followed the
Lachlan to the Murumbidgee and the Murray and then travelled through western
Vic to the sea and back across northern Vic to the Murray and north again
the Murumbidgee. He had also been Chief Surveyor of the Colony for many
years and travelled widely in coastal NSW. This passage reads as though he
had never seen these birds before.

I think the best explanation so far is Little Friarbird. I don't think Satin
Flycatchers could have been in the habitat he is describing, extensive
grassy plains with a few groves of trees near rivers. Looking through the
field guide again I have one further suggestion: an adult and juvenile
Blue-faced Honeyeater.

John Leonard