birding-aus

Urban Pied Currawong behaviour.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Urban Pied Currawong behaviour.
From: "Phillip Duke" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:15:01 +1100
I've been weeding a derelict backyard for about 10 months and have even knocked
back the nutgrass to the point where strings of nuts are exposed. A couple of
weeks ago the above-named was down there balanced on its tail pulling these
strings out and then flying off in the direction of the nest it was building in
the gum across the road. It sometimes had to use its wings to get enough
leverage to pull the strings out.

After that it was back and seemed to be putting beakfuls of the still moist
soil under its feathers and flying off. I'm sure there are no ants in that
section.

It has young now but how many and of what species, I still dont know.
Channelbills and Koels have been around.

The nest is directly above a concrete footpath so there is a good history of
droppings.

Is there a way of reading them to understand food source, distinguishing young
from adult, species?