birding-aus

RFI Warwick/Inglewood/Goondiwindi

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI Warwick/Inglewood/Goondiwindi
From: Barry Davies <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:37:07 +1000
Hi Craig,
There are a lot of birds in the Karara and Gore areas but not a lot of parks or other public places to see them. I find it is productive just making roadside stops in likely looking places. Cement Mill Rd south from Gore is good and Mosquito Ck rd north of Coolmunda dam is worth a visit. There are Spotted Bowerbirds in Inglewood and there were White-backed Swallows above the park along the creek. There is a path running along the creek, from the roadside park at the eastern end of town, which is worth following. There should be White-winged Fairy-wrens on the Goondiwindi Town Common and the road leading to it. A good spot to visit near Goondiwindi is the Death Camping and Water Reserve just out of town to the west and on the right. You turn off the highway and cross over the railway line. The gate you go through had a skull wired to it last time I was there. It is a great place for small brown birds. I've seen 6 spp of Thornbills and Gerygones in one bush at the same time. I've never seen Tourquiose Parrots out there but if you don't mind going south there were heaps of them on the back road between Wallangarra and Girraween NP 2 weeks ago. No where in particular you just need to make random stops, be vigilant when driving and keep your window down so you hear the calls. Diamond Doves could be anywhere and Southern Whiteface ditto but they have been seen on the road from Stanthorpe to Texas recently.
Good luck.
Barry Davies