birding-aus

Woodswallow influx..

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>, "Dr Richard Nowotny" <>
Subject: Woodswallow influx..
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:44:10 +1000
Hi all,

I've been asked where Altona Coastal Park is.  It's in the western suburbs
of Melbourne at the mouth of Kororoit Creek in Altona.  You drive along
Altona Rd, and park at or near the ford of the creek.  There's a treeline
between the park itself and the old Scout Camp next door (west of the
park).  The Dollarbird and the flock of Woodswallows were all in there.

For interest, the Coastal Park turns up some pretty interesting stuff
regularly.  It is a mix of grassland, saltmarsh and mudflat/wader roost.  In
the last 8 months I've had Brown, Black and Peregrine Falcons, Little Eagle,
regularly get Striated Fieldwren, and have had Little Egret, Pomarine
Jaeger, Bar-tailed Godwit and Double-banded Plover in or along the edge of
the park.  I've also had a flock of 100+ Pacific Gulls, which was
interesting.  I have no doubt the area has potential for Lewin's Rail as
well, though I've not heard or seen them there.

Regards,
Chris